- CHOICE A. Hire movers to load boxes, drive them to Florida, unload boxes, and set up furniture.
- CHOICE B. Pay for space on a cargo trailer.
Cons: It can take up to 10 days to receive your shipment, lost boxes, broken stuff
- CHOICE C. Rent a big ‘ol truck from Budget, hitch up the car to the back, and DIY it!
What would you do or what have you done in the past? Remember, we only have a 2 bedroom condo worth of furniture. The moving companies tell us we have 20 items or 29 pieces. That includes every single piece of furniture in our house (i.e. 4 kitchen chairs and 4 outdoor chairs= 8 pieces) Moving on (pun intended)… (I’m not usually so clever, I think this packing thing has me a little delirious!)
- Craiglist.com (choose your city and click on the free section)
- Uhaul.com– search by location and connect with people who have boxes!
- My local Uhaul has a free box section in store. Anyone can walk in and take as many as you need… I got a few boxes and lots of packing paper!
- Specs (or any liquor place)- The local Specs has tons of small to medium boxes in a big pile at the front. These are great because they come with cardboard dividers for vases, glasses, etc…
- Your job! Everyone has a copy machine, and those paper boxes are super sturdy packing boxes!
- Free Cycle– You can always find boxes, and it’s fun to search for free stuff in general
- Use what you’ve got, every thing needs to be packed in some form or fashion. Dish towels, beach towels, rags, pillows, place mats, blankets, coats, sweaters… use them to wrap all breakables, or divide things from banging into each other.
- Trash bags for pillows, bedding, sheets, and extra towels you didn’t use for packing!
- Throw a pillow on the top! Good for padding too
- Throw a pillow on the bottom, for protection from breakables.
- Wrap fragile stuff with towels and tape em up.
Every time you say “yikes”, do you want to continue with “stripes, fruit stripe gum, the yummy fruity one?” Or is that just me? Now, I’m really wasting time… looking up commercials on you tube from 1991!
Enjoy the rest of your evening, I’m going to surround myself in a sea of brown boxes.—-
UPDATE: We ended up hosting a packing party and DIY-ing the big move!