I started a discussion at the C.R.A.F.T. Community on Blog Frog about blog growth. I often get emails from other bloggers about this very topic. Things like: What is the best way to get new followers? How did you grow your blog? Is Twitter really necessary? That kind of stuff Today, I want to share what has worked for me to hopefully save you some time and energy..
2. I wish I would have done this one sooner. Start a facebook fan page and twitter account for your blog immediately. It’s easy and free. Use networked blogs so that every time a post is posted to your blog it automatically goes to your facebook and twitter accounts. I try and interact at least once a day on C.R.A.F.T. facebook…I really enjoy these conversations. Sometimes it’s just asking for an opinion on a project or even just, “what’s for dinner?” or posting a picture of the old school plastic weaving loom and reminiscing about the good ol’ pot holder making days!
|see at the bottom where it says “9 hours ago via Networked blogs”|
3. SOCIAL NETWORKS. Facebook and Twitter are great, but there are many more. Basically, the more exposure your blog gets, the better. I use these: Blog Lovin, Stumble Upon, linked in, Pinterest, and Blog Frog ! HERE is a list of 15 of the most popular social networking sites.
4. Linky parties helped C.R.A.F.T. grow the most in the beginning. I linked up to THIS list of parties every. single. week. for a good 6 months. Being persistent is something I’ve always been good at…the squeaky wheel gets the grease, right ? Keep linking up, and you will get featured! Exposure was key for C.R.A.F.T. Once people know how awesome your blog is, they’ll come back for more!
5. Start your own linky party. It stinks that you have to pay now, but it is only $20 bucks a year. I use inlinkz. In the beginning, and sometimes still now, I will come a cross a blog I’ve never been to with an awesome tutorial, and just leave a little note and the M.M.M. url for the week…something like:
“WOW! What a great idea! (say something personal, for example… I’m so doing this in my bathroom!) Please come on over and link this idea up to M.M.M. !”
6. Blog swaps, guest posting, and submitting your projects to bigger sites and blogs. It never hurts to ask C.R.A.F.T. has done a ton of blog swapping over the past 16 months. Blog swaps are a win- win! Rachel @ One Pretty Thing features a TON of crafts–email her and let her know about your projects! I’ve also had good luck with submitting projects to Apartment Therapy and Craft Gossip.
7. Here are 2 things that will instantly make your blog better (again this is just my humble opinion): Turn off your music and turn off your word verification for comments. This will get you more comments!
8. Create a full disclosure statement and post it somewhere on your blog–it’s the law!
9. INTERACT and/or meet up with other bloggers. Comment on other blogs, go to conferences (loved bloggy boot camp) and/or set up blog dates with like mined ladies in your area. It’s FUN and good for your blog!
10. Business cards. Whether your blog is business now or you want it to be someday…carry these with you all the time. You never know when blog talk will begin. HERE and HERE are what I carry around in my bag. Update: I made new business cards!
p.s. if you want to know more about getting sponsors, I always direct people to THIS post from Little Miss Momma!