My name is Alison, and my little blogging home is called Oopsey Daisy.
I am proud to be a Colorado girl! I have lived in Denver, Colorado for 9 years, and I absolutely LOVE the area! We all love FREE things–especially when entertaining our kids! I am thrilled to be sharing 10 of my favorite places to visit in Denver, Colorado–on the cheap!
1. Red Rocks – Although Red Rocks Amphitheatre is known for its amazing outdoor concerts, Red Rocks is one of my absolute favorite places to visit! In fact, every year on my birthday, my family goes to Red Rocks for breakfast, and we watch the sun rise over Denver. It is gorgeous! There are plenty of hiking trails and rock climbing nearby and lots of beauty to explore!
2. The Denver Zoo- Who doesn’t love the zoo?! I think the lions and tigers are our favorite animals to visit here. The Denver Zoo offers several free days throughout the year. I know we’ll be visiting one of those days for a “wild” and crazy time!
3. Belleview Park – Belleview Park is located just south of Denver, and it is definitely one of our favorite parks to visit! There is a petting zoo, wading area, and (our personal favorite!), a miniature train! There is a small fee to ride the train, but it is definitely worth it! The train is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and we are already looking forward to it!
4. The Denver Children’s Museum - The first Tuesday of every month, the Denver Children’s Museum is free! There is a fabulous play area for babies and toddlers downstairs, with plenty of hands-on activities for older children upstairs. As a former first grade teacher, I love the idea of learning by doing!
5. Littleton Historical Museum – We actually just made a trip to the 100% FREE Littleton Historical Museum this very week! This “museum” does have an indoor area–Little Man’s favorite area is the play kitchen! But our favorite part is the huge farm outside. There are animals to see and explore. You can also explore wagons, tractors, historical homes, etc.! Set on a lake, the scenery is gorgeous! I love all of the open spaces for the kids to run and play.
6. Tiny Town - Tiny Town is perfect for kids! Nestled in the mountains, there is a whole tiny town for children to explore. There is also a 10-minute train ride that kids absolutely LOVE! Although not completely free, tickets are definitely cheap!
7. The Denver Botanic Gardens – The Denver Botanic Gardens has flowers in bloom year-round! (No small feat considering Colorado’s surprise snow storms!) I could just drink up the beautiful surroundings here! There are classes available for kids as well as a special garden for children. The gardens have several free days throughout the year.
8. Chatfield Botanic Gardens – On the other side of Denver, the Chatfield Botanic Gardens are free every Friday. We love this gorgeous nature preserve and farm! There are several nature trails, and kids love the play tree house! One of our favorite times to visit the Chatfield Botanic Gardens is in the fall. There is fall festival and this is where we go to pick pumpkins.
9. Denver Firefighters Museum – Kids LOVE fire engines and firefighters, so this is another spot that is sure to please! They offer several free days throughout the year, although the admission is fairly cheap.
10. The Butterfly Pavillion – Open just in the spring and summer, I absolutely adore the Butterfly Pavillion in Westminster. Tickets are affordable, and worth every penny! There are insects to explore indoors with some fun classes. The pavillion is full of gorgeous butterflies to see and explore. A must-see!
If you’re visiting Denver, you may also want to check out: