If you’re new here, Creating Really Awesome Free Trips is a random post that happens every now and again with 10 fun, free, family friendly things to do in different cities around the USA! I was born and raised in good ol’ BCS. That’s Bryan, College Station for you non, BCS’ers. I’m not going to say it’s the most exciting city in the world, but it’s my home town, and I like it. It’s also were Andy and I met. Have you ever heard of A&M? Yep, that’s what I always say when someone asks me where I’m from! Just to keep things straight, I did not got to A&M. I was a crazy rebel, and threw in my marron for burnt orange!
First up on the list of fun, free, family friendly things to do in College Station is to take a little tour of campus.
1. Texas A&M: There are lots of things to check out, but here are some of the highlights. I think the A&M traditions are fun. Since College Station is built around A&M, it takes up 1-4 of this post, ha!
- Century Tree- Lots of superstitions surrounding this awesome tree.
- Kyle Field- It’s big. Jason, my brother, recently graduated. I did an Aggie ring photo shoot with him. This was his favorite pic from the shoot.
- Ring Sculpture- Aggie rings are a big deal, and this is a giant one. It lives in front of the alumni center, where students go to pick up their rings.
- Bonfire Memorial: Read more about the 1999 tragedy and the meaning of the memorial.
5. George Bush Presidential Library is free to kids under 5, active military and immediate family, and TAMU and Blinn Students. It’s interactive and there is a fun kids exhibit until July 5, 2013 right now about DNA.
6. Rose Emporium- It’s actually not in College Station, it’s about 30 minutes away in Brenham. My mom and I love it in the spring. It’s where we first saw a bottle tree. Obviously, you can buy all different kinds of roses here, but they also have fun garden art and lots of good photo ops.
7. Downtown Bryan is charming. It has some fun antique stores, a design center, cute restaurants, and my favorite little shop, Old Bryan Market Place. If you’re in CS, take the 10 minute drive and check it out.
8.Children’s Museum of College Station- Kids under one are free, $5 for everyone else. There is an HEB shopping exhibit, construction zone, and library just for kids.
9. Bottle Cap Alley- It’s a little alley on North gate (across from Texas A&M) with tons of bottle caps. Can you spy Jason’s Aggie ring?
10. Hullabaloo Diner (As seen on Diner’s, Drive- Ins, and Dives) It’s not free, but it’s fun and yummy! They do often have free, livre music!